Friday, February 12, 2010

Microscopic Edge Pictures

I had a request to post some microscopic edge images that I shot a few years ago using a QX5 USB scope that my friend Curtis gifted me. Thanks Curtis!

The pictures are meant to show what actually happens at the edge from using waterstones. They are a visual reference for what happens at the microscopic level to which we can't see with eyes alone.


1000x


5000x


8000x


10000x


I hope that these pictures serve to provide you with a better idea of what you're achieving at the edge while sharpening. I think it helps to be able to refer to this while you're working away.

*Please note - What particular stones used are not important here - it's about what happens (in general) at each grit level that's of relevance.





2 comments:

Unknown said...

hey Dave im guessing that the numbers listed are the hone grits not the mag x power. so what power did you use for the shots 60x 100x or 200x
just for my point of ref.

Dave @ JapaneseKnifeSharpening.com said...

It's been a few years since I shot these so I may be wrong but I recall them being taking at 200x magnification.